Tuesday, December 14, 2010

the cure of milk

Yesterday, I had to torture Nixon by changing his wet diaper and his outfit, because he had peed through. He was hysterical, and I could tell Andrew seemed a little nervous because of the volume of Nixon's cry. He sat down next to him and touched his face, and then said "Geez.. I hope you are going to give him some milk after this..."

That comment made me so happy. Andrew never approved of breastfeeding when I was pregnant, and I wasn't sure how much support I would get with it once Nixon came. I don't blame him, it's foreign to him, and he's such a boob guy, that I'm sure he was worried that he wouldn't even get to look at them again because they would be officially 'Nixon's.' The last three weeks, he's been supportive, but still doesn't completely 'get' it. He doesn't understand that I need to consume more calories than normal still because I'm feeding Nix as well, and he is weird about me nursing in public. I bought a nursing cover so I wouldn't make people feel uncomfortable at family parties around the holidays. I hate it though. I can't hold it up so I can see what I'm doing when I'm trying to latch him, and it feels hot and annoys me. So I haven't really been using it, and I shouldn't have to.

Anyways, just the comment being made, made me feel happy that I could give my baby something to calm him down, and that I am the ONLY one who can give that to him. My husband can't, my mom can't, my inlaws can't. Just me. Mama's milk will make him all better. It will fill his tummy, and make him calm and feel secure from the 'torture' he was just put through, and for my husband to say that, made me feel special and that I had more of his support than I knew of.

No comments:

Post a Comment