Tuesday, November 16, 2010

An update *copied from my pg.org board*

I had a great midwife appointment yesterday. My mom got to meet her for the first time. It was actually the first time she has ever been in the presence of a midwife and got to see how they do things. She was blown away. She couldn't believe how much amazing information she had, and how involved she let's family be in everything.

About a week ago, I had a major 'practice' labor. DH and I dtd, and BOOM! out of nowhere, I was having really strong contractions. They were painful, just like the labor ones I remember (right before I got my epidural with DS.) Nothing I couldn't handle with breathing and changing positions. I took a bath, got a couple things together 'just in case' contacted my midwife, and tried to sleep. They ended up going away at 4am. It turns out those 7.5 hours of contractions did something, because yesterday when checking the position of the baby, my midwife Lisa said she couldn't seem to find his head. She thought maybe it was way down there, but couldn't believe that it could have gotten that far in just a week. So she asked if I wanted her to check vaginally (which they don't normally do, they are pretty non-invasive) and I begged. I wanted to know if I had progressed on my own this time. Sure enough, she barely got in there before her eyes got big and she said 'oh wow.. his head is RIGHT there, your cervix is SUPER soft and so paper thin that I can feel the suture marks!" and then of course I begged for her to see if I was dilated (another thing they don't normally do unless you beg haha) and she again was a little surprised. 3-4 cm!

I'm happy that my body is doing it on it's own, as it's ready. Even though it's 3 weeks early, it's nice to know what it feels like to not have to be induced.

I'm home birth 'legal' now at 37 weeks. I'm excited, and I hope this means labor won't take as long, but who knows!

DH and I dtd again last night, and I had some of the same contractions and cramping, but it wasn't an explosive reaction like last time. I was able to sleep through it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment